Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cool New Games

This is yet another installment (ok, ok - it is just number 2) of new game releases scheduled to hit the shelves this fall. Here are a few that have caught my interest...

* Space Hulk will be released on September 5th as a limited print run. Although set in the Warhammer 40000 universe, you shouldn't feel like you need to buy a whole army. This self-contained game contains all two players need to play. It is a reprint of one of the best board games I've ever played. One player controls a squad or two of space marines who are exploring an ancient space ship hulk while the other player controls the alien inhabitants. A normal mission requires 1 - 1.5 hours to play and has the atmosphere of the Aliens movie. GREAT FUN! I suspect this printing will sell-out fast so I'd order one super-quick if I were you... in fact, I already ordered mine.

* Savage Worlds: Thrilling Tales has an October release date and captures the pulse-pounding excitement of the pulp magazines and cliffhanger serials of the 1930s and 40s. It is a sourcebook for a great system (Savage Worlds) and I fully expect it to rock the lama's ass.

* Not exactly a game, but based on the cool Midnight role-playing game setting, the Midnight Chronicles DVD hits shelves in September. Originally intended as a pilot episode for a TV series, I've seen trailers of this movie online and it looks pretty cool in my humble opinion.

* I'm a big fan of the PARANOIA role-playing game and a whole slew of products supporting the new 25th anniversary edition are scheduled to release in September. PARANOIA: Internal Security provides information on running Internal Security missions (well, duh). Ah, to serve, to protect, to vaporize. Gotta love it. I haven't found much information on PARANOIA: Termination Quota Exceeded and PARANOIA: Treason in Word and Deed, but I'm sure they'll just make it that much easier to kill player clones while making a pun, or simply laughing evilly.

No comments: